Thursday, March 31, 2011

No, dear kindergartener, I do not understand you: cross cultural communication trainwrecks

From a few months ago:

Small child: "I want the marker!"
Katie: "I'm sorry, you want the crayon?"
Small child: "I want the marker!"
Katie: "Okay, you mean you want a different color of paper. Cool."
Small child: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGGH (temper tantrum ensues).

My Hebrew has since improved enough that the kids now understand what I'm saying most of the time, but they spend a significant amount of time correcting my grammar and trying to make my vocabulary less shameful. After attempts at French and German, I'm now completely convinced that language acquisition requires one primary thing: immersion. Our program is made up entirely of English speakers, leaving us stranded in an English language bubble.

Breaking out of the language safety net that is our program is made even more difficult by the fact that most Israelis know (or think they know) English. Five words into most conversations, my accent lets whoever I'm speaking with know that I am, in fact, not from these parts. English is switched to for the rest of the transaction and I'm left with no opportunity to use my Hebrew.

Although I spent the better part of this morning having my accent mocked by an angry five year old, I'm occasionally reminded that I can in fact make myself understood.

Today:

Me: "Omer, can you please sit down?"
Omer: (giggles) "No, Kay-tee, you sit down!"
Me: "Omer, you're a silly girl. Now sit down."
Omer: (hugs me around the knees and doesn't sit down) "Okay."

No comments:

Post a Comment